Wednesday, July 7, 2010

New York Favorites

I visited one of my dream destinations for the first time just two months ago when Mike and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary in New York City. The trip was amazing, all I had envisioned and more!

Here are some highlights from our trip and also what I would recommend including on a “must-do” list if you are planning a trip to the Big Apple.

1)The View! Whether you are on a plane, a ferry, or the top of a skyscraper, you must see the view of this fascinating city. We enjoyed the view from the plane more than any other. An aerial view is hard to beat!



2) Broadway Shows. Many activities in NYC are inexpensive or free. Broadway shows are an exception. However, a deal can always be found for most shows. We bought tickets to Chicago in advance using AAA and thus receiving a hefty discount. Once in New York, we stood in the TKTS booth line next to the red steps for about an hour and were rewarded with 50% off tickets to see West Side Story. The theaters are often quaint and classy and the performances are top of the line. A show is well worth the price, especially with a discount.

3) The Statue of Liberty. Some people go to NYC and see the Statue from a distance. Others purchase ferry tickets and ride over to Liberty Island to get closer view. We went a step further, buying tickets about 3 months in advance to climb up the stairs to Lady Liberty’s crown. It was amazing to peer down and gaze upon her tablet or glance up and view her torch. Be warned however; there is no elevator. You must climb 354 steps to reach the crown, but you won’t regret it!





4) St. Paul’s Church. Located next to the World Trade Center site, this church housed many rescue workers during the immediate aftermath of 9/11. As a result, there are many memorials within the church commemorating the rescue efforts. I include it among the “must-sees” to honor those who sacrificed so much during those difficult days.

5) The Brooklyn Bridge. Walk across it from Brooklyn to New York and enjoy the view (if the busy traffic below doesn’t distract you).

6) Serendipity 3. Thanks to a friend asking if she could live vicariously through us by having us go to Serendipity 3, order a frozen hot chocolate, and take a picture, we added this restaurant to our agenda. It turned out to be one of our favorite places for both its dinner menu and its famous dessert.



7) Junior’s Cheesecake. The best ever! We chose a strawberry topping. Sadly, we devoured it before we thought to take a picture.

8) The Late Show with David Letterman. We laughed and laughed, sometimes because we were prompted too, but most often because of the atmosphere, the staff, and Letterman himself. We did not plan this event ahead of time, but were chosen by an employee while walking around Times Square. I’m glad we were in the right place at the right time and didn’t miss this entertaining part of the trip.

9) Times Square. It’s in the heart of the city and is perhaps one of the most popular and recognized spots in the country. There is plenty to do in Times Square, including shopping, eating, and people watching. One of our favorite moments was sharing cheesecake one night outside in the middle of Times Square as we watched all of the activity around us.



10) Enjoy each day with the one you love, no matter where you are. There is no one I’d rather be in New York City with than the love of my life, my best friend, the father of my children, the man I married 15 years ago. I am thankful to God for my incredible husband and for allowing us to take this dream vacation together!

“Entreat me not to leave you, or to turn back from following after you; for wherever you go, I will go…” Ruth 1:16

2 comments:

Derek and Amanda said...

That is awesome! Thanks for posting this. Derek and I really want to go to NYC one day. These things will definitely go on our "to-do" list when we are there. :) Looks like it was a lot of fun!!

hashbrowns said...

I'm catching up on posts today... and loving NYC! It's always been a hope of mine to see a broadway performance in NYC- this might become more now- a goal.

So glad you had this trip, dear friend.