Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Finding Purpose

The Bible is filled with a wealth of valuable wisdom, pertinent instruction, and evidence of everlasting love. This message from God to His creation could be no less. Narrowing down my favorite books, chapters, and verses is next to impossible. However, I find myself constantly drawn to and inspired by Deuteronomy’s earlier chapters.

After quite a dramatic life, Moses’ last days are quickly approaching. The passion and urgency with which he speaks gives evidence to the fact he knows his end is drawing near. His message to a rebelliously inclined people is crucial as they prepare to enter the Promised Land without their steadfast, dependable leader.

Moses’ rousing, God-inspired sermon reminds me of my purpose in life and motivates me to action. The climax, found in chapter six, is the command to love God with all my heart, soul, and strength. Fulfilling this task makes all others possible. If I love the Lord – with my words, my thoughts, and my actions – any other assignment from God should be quite simple, merely an outward display of my great love for my Him.

I am instructed to obey God, not only because it glorifies Him, but also for my own good. His rules are not merely a test of obedience, but are always for my benefit.

However, I am a wretched sinner saved only by the grace of God, and my words, thoughts, and actions are too often motivated by selfishness and pride.

Yet in this Old Testament book, God through Moses reminds hearers of His mercy even before He has sent His Son as the sacrifice for sin. God is just, but also forgiving to a disobedient, defiant people who will turn from their iniquitous ways and seek Him. Even hundreds of years before Jesus’ birth, God is proclaiming that our righteous acts cannot save us; only He can.

How nice it is to be a recipient of God’s grace!

Out of our love for God and because of his great mercy towards us, we are commanded to remember Him and all He has done for us. Furthermore, God charges parents and grandparents with the task of teaching the next generation about Him. As a mom, this mandate speaks to me directly.

Deuteronomy 6 and subsequent chapters challenge me to examine how well I am doing in teaching my children about God. As I evaluate, I recognize how grateful I am for the privilege of homeschooling, which provides the ideal atmosphere for carrying out this charge.

My children are in our home for instruction in all subjects as they prepare for college life and eventually a career many years from now. No topic could be more vital than the Lord and His Word. Lessons in history, science, literature, grammar, and even math provide opportunities for teaching about God, the Creator of all of these subjects and life itself. Additionally, because my children surround me most of their waking hours, multiple opportunities – some planned, others impromptu - arise each day to teach God’s Word and His ways.

I make no claims that homeschooling is the only way to fulfill God’s command in Deuteronomy 6:7. I simply realize that for me, it is in fact the easiest way. And when the task of homeschooling that God has given to me – not to everyone –seems overwhelming, these verses encourage me to persevere because of the benefits this educational option offers.

While some trudge through Old Testament books, or avoid them altogether, Deuteronomy motivates me to persevere in the purpose God has for my life, a purpose that includes teaching my children, remembering God’s great deeds, obeying His commands, and loving Him with every ounce of my being.

“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart.” Deuteronomy 6:5-6

No comments: