Everyone has a certain set of beliefs. I am no different. Some of my beliefs are foundational to my Christian faith. Other doctrines I hold would classify me as conservative, while some of my views would most likely categorize me as just plain weird.
Not that I’m weird, right? I tried to convince Brandon’s friend Carson of this as he argued that everyone is a bit weird. “Not me,” I claimed. I almost had him convinced! Yet he did speak truth. I no doubt possess my portion of idiosyncrasies, some of which my husband also shares.
One belief we are holding to these days as parents of preteens and a teenager is the idea that having a girlfriend or boyfriend during the middle school and high school days is pointless and even potentially damaging.
Call us eccentric, because our opinion is clearly in the minority. However, with no intentions of marrying during these years, our sons are encouraged to avoid the temptations associated with intimate relationships, including the likelihood that such relationships will result in giving a piece of his own body – even something as “small” as hands or lips – to one who is unlikely to become his mate.
We believe that dating has a purpose: finding a spouse! And few teenagers are already looking for someone to marry. Therefore, no logical reason exists for dating; it is merely a leisure activity. And the temptations, intimacy, and drama are simply not worth the indulgence at that age.
We have other “weird” beliefs, not surprising considering we have chosen the unconventional method (at least for this era) of educating our children, homeschooling.
For example, our children have never believed in Santa Claus, not because he is often given the status of a god or because we think our children would somehow confuse him with the true Savior whose birth we celebrate at Christmas, but merely because we have not felt comfortable lying to our sons about where their gifts come from on Christmas morning. Furthermore, it allows us flexibility with traveling that often occurs over the holiday.
We are also “one of those families” who choose not to support the Harry Potter industry. You will find no J. K. Rowling books in our home. I have no doubt that the novels are well-written, given their immense popularity. As a piece of literature, they may be top-notch. Yet the utilization and endorsement of sorcery and witchcraft by the “good guys” closely parallels similar practices condemned in Scripture.
I am not claiming that reading and enjoying a Harry Potter novel is wrong; many of my dearly loved friends and family members rave about the books and movies. However, the shift from reading the stories to dabbling in witchcraft - done easily enough among our younger generation with all of the toys, merchandise, and even a theme park on this “heroic” fictional character – pushes the boundary a little further that with which we are comfortable.
We undoubtedly hold more unconventional viewpoints than these mentioned, views that guide us in our desire to glorify God. A logical explanation exists for each belief, with which you may disagree. Regardless of our differences in opinions and convictions, we will love you no less and hope that the affection is mutual!
“Set up road marks, place for yourself guideposts…” Jeremiah 21:31a
No comments:
Post a Comment