Love it or hate it, the season has not only arrived, but is running at full stride.
I am a die-hard South Carolina Gamecock's fan. I wear their colors and cheer them on in good times and bad, with God-fearing, encouraging coaches and selfish, irreverent ones. I do not pull for a particular player – although some have been very impressive – or a particular coach, but rather the college and its teams.
Some may question my devotion to the Gamecocks. I am not a graduate of the University of South Carolina. Our simple, inexpensive satellite plan rarely shows my beloved Gamecocks. In the past, even when I could watch a game on TV, I would occupy myself with something else in order to avoid the nervous stomach so often associated with this football team.
Most of all, some may question my loyalty because I do not hate South Carolina’s rival, the Clemson Tigers.
In past years, I could not make this claim. To me, loving the Gamecocks was equivalent to hating the Tigers. Yet when my oldest son began pulling not for “my” team, but for its “enemy”, I began to see the absurdity of my mind-set.
The hardest part of changing my attitude and heart towards Clemson has been the offensive and tactless remarks from some of their fans. The majority of my Clemson friends are NOT rude and unpleasant, but are in fact quite friendly. An occasional jab or tease is inevitable and expected. Yet hateful comments arise from a small minority, revealing an intense hatred and bitterness towards a football team, my football team.
In all likelihood, other teams – including the Gamecocks - have just as many vicious and bitter supporters. Furthermore, our current football coach with his pessimistic, discouraging manner is probably not gaining new followers for our team and may in fact be turning some away. Words from disgruntled, condescending coaches and fans are ugly no matter whose team is being represented.
It seems quite silly. Ridiculous, in fact! Out of the same mouth comes praise and adoration for one school, yet madness and rage against another. Consequently, a fanatical devotee’s supposed love and dedication to his team turns others away because of an obnoxious urge to vocalize hatred and bitterness towards the opposing side.
This year Clemson has a very respectable group of players and an admirable coach. In all honesty, I have difficulty finding anything to dislike about this team, except for a few, loud-mouth fans.
Clemson’s head-coach Dabo Swinney is not self-seeking or arrogant, but in fact, lives out his faith on and off the field. He seeks to honor the Lord, not himself, through his team’s wins. I suspect that even in a loss, he would point to God’s goodness in spite of man’s failure.
Recently Coach Dabo encouraged his team to “let your light shine” for God’s glory. Perhaps, we Christian football fans also need to remember to let our lights shine, not only for the reputation of our favorite team, but more importantly, for the reputation of the Savior whose name we claim.
I am not without blame in this area and have been working on improving my football etiquette. Despite the occasional rude comment or snide remark, my heart is changing. My words should bring glory to God, and declaring love for Him while speaking hatred towards a football team does not honor Him.
Without a doubt, Clemson’s orange is shining brightly this year, not simply on the field, but off as well. How could I dislike a team like that? In fact, I must learn from it and hope that my garnet and black shines just as brightly.
Clemson players, fans, and Coach Dabo: I sincerely wish you the best this season. May you only have one loss this year - to my dearly loved Gamecocks, of course!
“Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so.” James 3:10
No comments:
Post a Comment