“Mom, you make the best hot chocolate!”
Ahh… these seven words bring a smile to my face and satisfaction to my sentimental soul!
My homemade hot chocolate recipe is one inheritance from my dear mother-in-law, whose 70th birthday would have been today. She passed along to me her simple, yet tasty cocoa instructions which I have been using faithfully for seventeen winters.
Long gone are the days of opening a little packet and adding hot water. Our sons have now been exposed to enough varieties of hot chocolate to know that none compare in sweet, chocolaty flavor to ours.
Whenever the boys compliment me on my hot chocolate, I seize the opportunity to tell them a little more about their Grandmother who has been in Heaven for over fifteen years. And then I agree with them; it is the best hot chocolate!
I take pride in our tasty treat not because I am a great chef or a super mom – I’m not - but because sharing one of my much loved mother-in-law’s “sweet” traditions with my own sons makes me feel a little closer to her.
Oh, how I yearn for her compassionate and loving presence on earth, her godly wisdom, her sweet smiles and gentle hugs. But she is in our hearts and on our minds throughout the holidays and all year long, including every time we sit down and enjoy a delicious mug of warm cocoa!
Time has changed packaging sizes on some products, requiring slight adaptations to the recipe, but this is the original version:
One 32 oz. can of Nestle Nesquik
One 16 oz. jar of coffee creamer
One 1 lb. box of powdered sugar
One box of dry milk that makes 8 quarts
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Store in a gallon-size container. For each cup of hot chocolate, fill mug about ¼ full of the mix. Add hot water and enjoy!
“A good man” - and woman – “leaves an inheritance to his children’s children.” Proverbs 13:22a
2 comments:
Mmmm. Your hot chocolate is very good, Mom. Thanks to Grandma Lawson for giving her the recipe. I hope I can have some soon!
I too have enjoyed that wonderful hot chocolate from Irene. She would be so proud of you Alison for sharing that with the boys.
Post a Comment