Each weekday morning over breakfast, the boys and I spend a few minutes together reading through a book in the Bible. We have no particular order for choosing among the sixty-six books; I simply let them decide which they are most interested in studying.
This past week, after concluding Judges, the boys chose Song of Solomon because, as Brandon innocently stated, “I really have no idea what that book is about.” Was he ever right! Just two verses into the first chapter, I read words that make young boys shudder: “Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth.”
I pressed on, recognizing that the Bible is meant for all people to read, even those who may not be completely comfortable with some of its statements. Uncertain of how I would approach the study of this book with my boys, I had decided to highlight the fact that it is not merely the story of a man and woman in love, but a picture of God’s undying devotion to those who love Him.
But with expressions such as, “Your cheeks are lovely with ornaments” (1:10a), “I am lovesick” (2:5c), and “…his right hand embraces me” (2:6b), the discussion ultimately kept coming back to romantic love.
In fact, very little of our conversation has been about God’s love, and much more has been about love between a man and woman. So in studying this book of the Bible, the subject has quickly focused on choosing a godly wife.
Selecting a partner for life is a serious decision that calls for biblical wisdom, such as the following I have been sharing with my sons from Song of Solomon:
When choosing a bride one day, choose a girl who is beautiful. “You have ravished my heart with one look of your eyes.” (4:9) Remember, however, that beauty is not wholly defined by appearance. A pretty girl who nags and complains is really not very attractive. On the contrary, a simple girl with a peaceful, Christ-centered heart is an extraordinary, exquisite prize. Consider the whole package, not just the paper and bows.
When choosing a bride, choose from among your friends. “This is my beloved, and this is my friend.” (5:16b) Have fun and enjoy one another. Share dreams, hopes, concerns, disappointments, struggles - everything. And when circumstances necessitate time apart, be eager to reunite with your closest companion, your wife.
When choosing a bride, beware of Satan’s attempts to separate the two of you. “Catch us the little foxes, the little foxes that spoil the vine.” (2:15) Keep your eyes only on her, and allow nothing on earth to become more important than your marriage.
Wait until the appropriate time to choose your bride. “Do not stir up nor awaken love until it pleases.” (2:7b) The purpose of dating is not simply to have fun or to feel loved and secure or to “practice” before pursuing a bride. The purpose of dating is to FIND that bride, and young teens or pre-teens unable to move toward a more serious commitment of marriage should be cautious of searching and awakening love before it is ready.
The Bible offers much wisdom and guidance on this subject. These are merely a few observations from Song of Solomon. I pray that learning about God’s perfect plan for marriage is the beginning of my sons’ own beautiful love stories.
“Many waters cannot quench love…” Song of Solomon 8:7a
2 comments:
Yeah, I definately did not know what was coming when I asked for that book, but I am learning from it. Well-written blog.
Alison,
Thank you for posting such a thought provoking perspective of how to approach the Book of Solomon with children. I think that people young and old could definately benefit from the things that you have shared. Great post!
Post a Comment