Sunday, November 21, 2010

Blessings

It’s that time of year… time for counting blessings! Actually, I believe that every day we should be taking note of all we have to be thankful for. But with Thanksgiving less than a week away, I’ll take this opportunity to name a few of the many blessings in my life.

My relationship with God blesses me more than anything else. It is the umbrella that covers my entire life, sheltering me with peace, love, and contentment in all situations.

Other blessings in life are obvious – family, friends, health, and home, for example - yet they are still incredible gifts not to be overlooked or taken for granted.

This Thanksgiving, I am also noting some more recent and specific blessings.

I think daily of what a gift God has given to me in my husband. I love spending time with Mike.


Despite the busyness of life lately, we were able to carve out time for a date a couple of weeks ago. Relaxing with my sweetheart over dinner and a movie is truly special during this season of life when we aren’t often alone. Mike also surprised me recently with a thoughtful gift (Mandisa’s Christmas CD) and a Sunday lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant (a day off from cooking).

My three boys are obvious blessings, as well. The gift of children is not to be taken for granted, and their very lives are enough reason to rejoice. But they also go above and beyond with their helpfulness, kindness, and unconditional love.


Brandon recently spent a weekend helping Mike paint the deck. Not a complaint was heard from our oldest son during his ten hours of hard, manual labor. I appreciate his willingness to lend a hand inside the house, as well, without uttering a single groan about the task assigned to him.

Nicholas often wants to take care of me. One evening, at a particularly chilly baseball game, I sat shivering in my chair despite layers of clothes and covers. Nicholas decided to snuggle under the blankets with me. Upon realizing how cold my hands were, he took them in his own and began rubbing them to warm me up. Such a sweet gesture and a blessing to this mama!

Zachary blessed me with his words recently. On a date together, he exclaimed, “It’s so great to have a mom!” As we talked about what dating means, he commended me for choosing his daddy to be my husband. “He’s a good Christian dad who takes care of us and is a nice person.”

Later on the date, as we stopped to pick up a few necessary items, including some hair coloring, he begged, “Mom, please don’t get that. I like your hair the color it is now.” Complete with dark roots and gray hairs peaking through!

Our parents distribute their share of blessings, as well. Those “too few” days with my mom spending hours not only shopping, but also chatting over fraps at Starbucks are treasured times. My dad sharing details of our family’s history, which included his early days dating my mom, was a special moment on their most recent visit to our home. And Mike's parents' eager anticipation and excitement about our next Disney trip together, almost a year away, puts a big smile on my face.

I am always blessed when I talk to my grandmother on Sunday afternoons. She loves me tremendously, I have no doubt!

Blessings also come from godly friends, especially those who say they will pray for you and actually do. I recently asked for prayer as I prepare to speak to a local group of moms soon. Within days, God provided several unexpected moments of quiet time to get focused and organize my notes. Answered prayers, along with those who offered them, are blessings!

Words of encouragement tend to be simple gifts that bless me at the most unexpected times. An aunt recently encouraged me to continue keeping in touch, letting me know she appreciates my efforts. More encouragement came from another aunt who suggested I am following my grandmother’s footsteps by teaching certain values to the boys.

Several friends have encouraged me with their kind words about my writing, others as they have trusted me to listen to and pray for them. One friend blessed me by her generosity not only to me, but also to Zachary.

There are so many blessings in my life! Reflecting on them at first caused some concern that I was being self-centered. After all, I am joyful because of all the good that has happened to me. But isn’t that what blessings are - benefits that brings happiness? God, the giver of blessings, desires to see us encouraged and enjoy the life He has given us. I thank God for all that He has blessed me with and for each person He has used to distribute those blessings.

“Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving…” Psalm 95:2a

No comments: