Thursday, December 9, 2010

Christmas Cards

There is much excitement in the month of December as Christmas Day draws near. Daily visits by the mailman only add to the thrill. Will there be a Christmas card for us today? How many? From whom?

But my delight in this age-old tradition is being diminished. To put it frankly, we just don’t get many cards anymore, making those December visits by our postal worker quite a letdown. With some hesitation, I will humbly admit that I am often left disappointed.

I remember past years when several cards came almost every day of this month. Today is December 9, and so far, we have only received three. And to be honest, one probably should not even count because it was given to me by the leader of a local Mothers of Preschoolers group to express appreciation after speaking to the ladies there. (But I am counting it!)

I first noticed a dramatic reduction in the amount of cards we received two years ago – about the time social networks were rising in popularity. Last year, after finally succumbing to the pressure and getting my own Facebook account, the numbers of cards decreased even more.

Despite the obvious connection, I still felt a certain degree of rejection from those who had for so many years sent a card. Yes, we are Facebook friends with many of them now, meaning we see and hear all about one another’s lives. Yet, I still yearn for the yearly Christmas greeting.

I blame technology, which has made it relatively easy to keep in touch instantly with family and friends all year long, making the annual Christmas card and letter completely unnecessary. Then there is the economy. Stamp prices are rising while salaries are not. And let’s not forget how busy life is for everyone. Who really has time to buy and address Christmas cards, much less take family pictures or write a letter?

After many days of an empty mailbox threatening my joy with whispers of rejection and attempting to turn me into a Grinch, I have come to terms with the fact that perhaps the act of sending Christmas cards is on its last days. My grandchildren may not even know what a Christmas card is unless they visit the Smithsonian National Museum of American History and see one encased in a box as a protected and valued rarity.

The Lord has had compassion on me and comforted me in this matter. You see, I can open up His Word, the Bible, and read messages even more meaningful than I could ever find when opening my mailbox. God Himself speaks to me, sharing special notes of encouragement, guidance, instruction, and love. He reminds me of what Christmas is all about with stories of Jesus’ birth, life, death, and resurrection. I can even read the words of Jesus himself! God’s Christmas greetings abound throughout the entire Bible and fill all of my needs more than any mailbox full of Christmas cards ever can.

My joy will not be stolen. While Christmas cards are fun, they are not what Christmas is all about. Besides, the best Christmas card ever has been delivered to our home, written by God Himself!

But if you would like to send us a card, please do. Your holiday greetings would be a delight to our family this Christmas season!

“…for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day…” Acts 17:11

1 comment:

Sharon said...

wonderful post and so true! I remember my Mom handwriting notes in each card, and now i'm doing good to just put my picture card in the envelope! as long as i'm doing cards, you'll be getting one from the Hooks home :)