Monday, April 4, 2011

The Winding Way

I recently mentioned that our youngest son Zachary is much like the Family Circus children when assigned a task. With pure intentions, yet multiple distractions, my eight year-old rarely takes the direct path to get from point A to point B. In fact, so greatly diverted from his original mission by the many adventures awaiting him, he often ends up back at point A without ever reaching destination B.

Zachary’s tendency has both amused and frustrated me. Usually I am exasperated as I try to understand why it is so difficult for him to stay focused on his task. Lately, however, my perspective has been shifting as I travel on my own quest to reach “Point B”.

The winding way I am currently taking involves decisions for the upcoming school year. While on this journey, I must investigate various curriculum options and possible activities. As I continue along this route, zeroing in on preferred materials and plans is essential. Approaching the final destination means searching for deals on our chosen books and finalizing our schedule.

With close to six years of homeschooling under my belt, the path should be relatively straight. However, Brandon will be in eighth grade and taking at least one high school level class. This fall, I will begin keeping a transcript for my oldest son! I must confirm that our material is acceptable to colleges – yes, colleges, even though submitting applications to institutions of higher learning is four to five years away. That same curriculum must also prepare him for pursuing a degree one day.

Needless to say, numerous hours have been spent in prayer asking God for His guidance in making these important school decisions not only for Brandon, but also for his younger siblings, who do not necessarily need the same level of academic intensity as their big brother. Balancing each son’s individual skills, needs, and personalities in one schoolroom is challenging.

Confidence in my own decision making is waning right now, but my confidence in God is unquestionable. Why? Because I have been on countless winding roads before, and God has proven faithful.

Mike and I traveled a roundabout path to our first date; yet, God used each step along the way to bring us to that destination. Our early years of marriage saw four moves among four states in a fifteen month time span to bring us to a region we have now lived in for twelve years. The road to homeschooling began with two years of public education followed by a reassignment before my home was transformed into a schoolhouse.

The Bible is also full of winding ways. David did not instantly become king of Israel, but rather faced giants ranging from Goliath to King Saul before taking his rightful place on the throne. Furthermore, Jesus’ own path as Savior included companionship and betrayal, acceptance and rejection, and His own death followed by His glorious resurrection. The path God chooses to reach a magnificent destination is rarely simple or straight.

While there is not necessarily a right or wrong choice when it comes to individual curriculums or activities for the upcoming school year, I trust that God will show me the best course for each of my children. He knows their future and what preparations they need. While it seems impossible that anyone could love my children more than I do, God does! I can trust in His faithfulness, even if the path includes much meandering to reach the destination.

Already, many questions have been answered. Various text book options have been eliminated and confirmed, some activities have been ruled out or postponed, and a tentative schedule of courses for high school has become clear. God is actively leading me, as He always does, and my gratitude is immeasurable!

No longer exasperated by Zachary’s winding way, I now view his roundabout paths as a reminder of God’s work and the winding way He often uses in response to my prayers for His guidance on life’s countless journeys.

“In all your ways acknowledge [the Lord], and He shall direct your paths.” Proverbs 3:6

1 comment:

Mike said...

You are such a blessing to our family and our boys! I am thankful that you are there to lead and teach our boys. God has blessed us with you. I love you!!!