Thursday, April 21, 2011

Life's Not Fair

Life is not fair.

At times, I feel disadvantaged by this.

But as I try to recall moments when I have not been given what I deserve, no specific memory comes to mind.

Instead, I consider the lack of justice in life as a blessing. I merit much less than I have been given.

Yesterday, my family joined others from our church to serve victims of a recent string of tornadoes in our state. As we walked from house to house, passing out hygiene kits to residents and inviting them to stop by our grill on the street corner for a chicken dinner, we saw firsthand the devastation caused by the violent storms.

Several houses were completely demolished – two story homes reduced to a pile of rubble. One was moved off its foundation; another was missing two sides of the upper story, a bedroom and hallway exposed to the streets below. Many homes throughout the neighborhood had garage doors warped or missing, roofs covered with tarp, and chimneys lying next to cars.

No, life is certainly not fair. One home stands firm on its foundation; beside it, another is toppled and ruined. My home is spared, while another is destroyed.

We have little tolerance when our boys complain that life is not fair. Their statement is absolutely correct, yet earns little sympathy.

Life is not fair, and for that, I am glad. After all, do I deserve to have a home and family that escapes a vicious tornado more than another person does? Of course not.

Each life is precious, none more valuable than another.

Yet we are all sinners. The Bible tells us that every person disobeys God, and consequently, deserves much less than each has been given. We all deserve death.

But God loves every one of us and desires a personal relationship with us!

For that reason, He allowed – even sanctioned – the most unjust act in order to provide the way for all to be saved from our just punishment. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, came to earth. He lived a perfect life, yet was beaten, tortured, and crucified on a cross in order to take the penalty we deserve.

Life was not fair for Jesus. Yet he did not pull the “justice card”. Instead, He freely gave up what He deserved so we could gain what we do not deserve – life, not death; peace, not turmoil; a relationship with God, not isolation from Him.

Life is not fair, yet I benefit from this fact. And so do you! Trials in life are inevitable, whether warranted or not. But a relationship with God conquers those difficulties. We may experience pain, loss, tragedy, and grief, but knowing God brings peace in the midst of those storms.

Life with Christ is about more than justice, more than the trials going on in our lives. A relationship with God through Jesus gives us hope and confidence in His ability, not our own, to endure whatever comes our way, knowing He loves us and has graciously given us what we do not deserve, including eternal life with Him.

Life is not fair, and for that, I am very thankful!

“For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God.” Ephesians 2:8

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This was a very moving blog and so very true! Thanks so much for taking the time to share that with all of us!

RevTom said...

Nice post! And what a great ministry to care for those who have experienced firsthand the tragedy of the tornadoes that cause such devastation in your area. To show God's love, to be the hands and feet of Jesus, in tough times is a great witness. Life is truly not fair, but God's love and presence, I believe, goes with us in both good and bad times. For that, I join you in gratitude to God.

StaceyC4 said...

Beautifully said, Alison.

SandyM said...

I just had my husband come read this w/me: he taught on Ps.73 last week & the "life is not fair" phrase was part of the lesson. I am bothered when I hear someone say, "We were really blessed that we didn't sustain any damage." It makes it sound "spiritual" but it does beg the question, did God not want to bless those who DID sustain damage? Of course, He wants to bless, yet part of the falleness of man is that bad things do happen to the "good" & "bad" alike (the rain falls on the good & the bad...)
You & many others are truly being the hands & feet of Christ in helping those who have suffered so much through this devastating time! Thanks for sharing Truth on here!

Mike said...

That is a great reminder, especially here at the Easter season! I love you!

Leslie said...

Great post Alison! Thanks for sharing with all of us! Leslie

mariel said...

beautiful and timely thoughts. thanks for sharing this!

Paul/Pam Eubanks said...

Good stuff Alison! And so true! Enjoyed reading your thoughts!