Monday, May 2, 2011

Royalty

I married my enchanting prince almost sixteen years ago. Since that majestic day, three sons have been added to our royal family, sealing my position as queen of our home. Furthermore, as a child of the King whose reign will never end, my ever-lasting title of “princess” surpasses even the Duchess of Cambridge’s new role.

Perhaps this is why the anticipation of a royal wedding failed to immediately grab my attention. In the midst of the hoopla preceding the big event, my mind was focused on completing current academic assignments, making decisions for the upcoming school year, and getting my boys to their baseball games on time. The regal event failed to motivate me to sacrifice precious sleep for its viewing.

Yet realizing the historical nature of the occasion, I took a moment to set up the DVR Thursday evening to record the pre-dawn ceremony. On Friday, after teaching lessons to my boys, I plopped on my couch, remote in hand, and began watching the gala occasion.

Immediately absorbed in the magnificent affair, I was mesmerized by the spectacular marriage between a common girl and her prince. Upon hearing the television, my sons soon flocked to the living room to take part in this bit of history.

Their noteworthy perspective brought much humor to this grand event.

A brief explanation became necessary after one son asked, “Who is Prince William?”

The questions continued.

When I identified the lady wearing the yellow dress as the eighty-five year-old Queen of England, one of the boys asked, “Is she the one getting married?”

When the future princess began her procession down the aisle with children following behind her, another son inquired, “Are those her children?”

As the camera zoomed in on best man Prince Harry, another commented, “His hair looks like he just got out of the shower.” Upon realizing that the groom and his best man were both brothers and princes, the same son thought aloud, “I wonder if they ever sword fight one another.”

With much confusion, another of my boys asked, “Why do all the ladies wear their hats crooked?”

As the ring portion of the ceremony concluded, one son questioned why the boy didn’t get his ring - a very good query and one I could not answer. In my opinion, he should get a ring, regardless of whether he wants one or not!

After hearing prayers, hymns, Scripture reading, and references to Jesus Christ as the Son of God, my boys were left wondering if the bride and groom are Christians. The princess had a beautiful Christian wedding. Yet sermons, songs, and prayers are no indicator of a true Christ follower.

We can claim Christ with our words, but fail to have Him in our hearts. A better test of true faith is not a ceremony, but rather a lifestyle of making godly choices. With pride, I acknowledged the beginning of discernment in my boys (albeit in the midst of rather humorous inquiries) as they knew enough to question another’s faith rather than make assumptions based on a certain ceremony.

On that note, we turned off the television. The boys returned to their schoolwork, and I decided to take a walk around the neighborhood. I grabbed my iPod, started the Disney Princess Mania CD, and begin singing "happily ever after" songs in my mind as I strode down each road, taking every opportunity possible to practice my princess wave to the neighbors!

“Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever…” Psalm 45:6a

1 comment:

Mike said...

You are definitely my Queen!! Cute post. I love you!!