The act of passing down stories from generation to generation is as old as mankind. Furthermore, Christian believers are commanded to tell their children and grandchildren of the wonderful things God has done in their lives.
Perhaps the greatest story to tell is one’s personal story of becoming a Christ follower. For months, a goal of mine has been to have the boys write down their testimonies for the generations to come. Our pastor recently encouraged this act for the entire congregation, and last week’s history assignment nudged us to finally follow through.
At only five and six years-old, our boys made decisions to place their faith in Jesus Christ. Some may suppose that children at this age cannot completely understand biblical truths.
Mike and I have a different perspective. Our personal conversion stories have similarities to those of our boys. Like our sons, we were raised in Christian homes and desired a relationship with Christ at a young age. As a five year-old, Mike became a Christian. My decision was made at age ten.
Not all biblical doctrines will be understood by young children… or adults for that matter. Becoming a Christian is only the beginning of a life-long pursuit of following God and growing in the knowledge of His truths.
Since their toddler years, our children have been reared with an understanding of their sinfulness. As part of the discipline process, we addressed their disobedient nature rather than overlooked or excused it. As a result, early in life they understood their sin and need for a Savior.
As each son expressed a yearning to become a Christian, we listened to him and responded to his many questions with explanations from Scripture. We recognized a sincere desire to follow God as well as frustrations when we would suggest he “wait a little longer” for better understanding before making this life changing decision. Eventually, our attempts to delay the decision until a later age became a hindrance in his pursuit of a relationship with Jesus.
But Jesus called them to Him and said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God.” Luke 18:16
From the time of our children’s birth, we prayed for each to know the Lord as his Savior at an early age. We rejoice and praise God that He has answered these prayers. We take great delight in assisting them in the discipleship process even as we, too, are being refined by the Lord each day in our own personal walks with Christ.
2 comments:
Thank you, Alison!
You're such an amazing mom! When I was a kid, I remember my parents suggesting I "wait a little longer" too. I look back on that as the Lord guiding ME to make a decision separate from my parents. When I was seven, they wouldn't let me walk forward when I asked. When I was nine, I walked forward without asking.
Post a Comment