On more than one occasion, we have been blessed to hear these words by our sons. It is important to us that our children know we are here for them and that they can talk to us about anything going on in their lives. We are a safe place for them, and as they approach us with honesty and sincerity, we want to guide and help them as best as we can, no matter what may be going on.
In this particular instance, the words were coming from Nicholas, as is most often the case. As I was kissing him goodnight before bed, he informed me that he had a problem. Before he could continue, my mind quickly considered a variety of issues that could be wrong – a difficult school assignment, a physical ailment, or a pesky brother.
“It’s when you’re praying during our devotional time after supper, Mom.” Hmmm… me? Was I ready for this?
“Go ahead, Nicholas.”
“Mom, when you’re praying, I just can’t pay attention because all I’m thinking about is the dessert I get after the prayer. I know that isn’t good and that I need help. I don’t know what to do.”
Whew… so that’s it. Something perfectly normal for a little boy (or grown man) to go through. Yet his sincerity was convicting. After all, how many times does my own mind wander during prayers at church, home, or elsewhere? And perhaps even more, how many times have I thought of my wandering mind as a problem?
Nicholas and I addressed the issue that was disturbing him so much. We talked about how to deal with distractions that may weaken his relationship with God. With this particular situation, we discussed his options, and he decided that he should have his treat taken away so that it could no longer be a distraction. He determined that when he was able to focus on the prayer again, he could then start receiving the dessert that followed it.
Empowered by God’s strength and a desire for a piece of candy, it did not take long for my nine year-old to vanquish the treat from his mind as I prayed. I had suggested that he repeat the words of the prayer in his mind so that his focus was no longer on dessert. It worked immediately, and a day has not gone by when he has not received an after-dinner delicacy because of his lack of concentration during prayer time.
Nicholas’ heart to do what is right and his desire to keep God first is precious. Furthermore, his sensitivity is teaching me a lesson. Certainly, I want to be aware of distractions that separate me from my Lord. But I also want to be bothered by those small things that I often overlook as normal or excusable. I want to be bothered by the “little” sins in my life as much as I am by the “big” sins. God is equally displeased with both. I should be, too.“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness…” Matthew 6:33
No comments:
Post a Comment