Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Recent Readings

I cannot remember a time in my life when I did not enjoy reading. With each year that passes, my fondness and appreciation for this diversion grows more and more. As life gets busier, those intimate times with a good book are few and far between, yet they continue to be a draw that I cannot easily resist.

Mike likes to read also, although not as much as he enjoys other recreational activities. While it may take him much longer than the kids or me to finish a book (not because of a lack of intelligence at all, but only because of other commitments and interests), he almost always has one he is working on.

The boys have developed a love for reading as well. So although we do not always have as much time to read as we would like, we continue to make our hobby a priority. During this summer’s record-breaking days of sweltering heat, grabbing a comfy spot in a cool room with a captivating book became a favorite pastime of ours on scorching afternoons.

Here are some of our most recent favorite reads and what we love about them enough to recommend them to others:

The Peter and the Starcatchers series by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson is a family favorite. My nephew first introduced us to these Peter Pan adventure stories. Brandon and I read them and were hooked on the series. Mike caught our enthusiasm and was quickly captivated. This past summer, Nicholas overcame his fear of “thick” books and read the entire series as well. We are all eagerly anticipating the day when Zachary is able to tackle these beloved tales.

After attending a writing workshop last spring by author Bryan Davis, Brandon became a big fan of this Christian-fiction writer. He reads anything he can get his hands on by Davis and has completed Starlight and the Dragons in our Midst series. Nicholas is currently reading the series and also enjoying these exciting fantasies.

Mike, Brandon, and I studied Paul Tripp’s book Know Why You Believe this summer. We would gather together two nights a week after the younger boys went to bed to talk about each chapter. This time of discussion not only helped Brandon better understand and articulate the details his faith, but it also gave Mike and me precious times of meaningful conversation with our firstborn.

One of the most helpful books I have read recently is Raising Real Men by Hal and Melanie Young. Packed with practical tips for raising sons to become strong, godly gentlemen, I highly recommend it to all parents of boys.

One of my most cherished times this past summer were the days Zachary would cuddle beside me on my bed as I read classic works of fiction to him. (To be accurate, he started with cuddling, but that quickly became tumbling and rolling around, although without a doubt, his interest was held by these novels.) We agree that one of the most beloved novels we read together is Gentle Ben by Walt Morey. This heart touching story of a young, Alaskan boy and his massive pet bear should be read by everyone.

So many wonderful books exist. Other favorites read recently in our home include: King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table by Sydney Lanier, The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster, the Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne, Black Beauty by Anna Sewell, and Little Men by Louisa May Alcott. Again, these are just a few in a list of many great books.

One book we continue to read and will never put away on a shelf is the Bible. Each of us regularly spends time in God’s Word. It is worthy of our attention and devotion, because the words in this great Book are words from the Lord God Himself - words of life, hope, encouragement, instruction, and above all, love. It is a must-read every day!

“All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness….” 2 Timothy 3:16

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Have you guys read the Cooper Kids mystery series by Frank Peretti? I have them sitting here on my shelf for C and I to read.

"A Phantom Tollbooth" was a favorite of mine as a child, as was "A Cricket in Times Square".

Will be looking up the Barry/Pearson books- I read one of Dave Barry's comedy books this month that made mention of his friendship with Pearson. I can't imagine that either of them were capable of writing something appropriate for children, but with your recommendation I will check it out!

Also you should check out the Andrew Peterson "Wingfeather Trilogy". He has written the first two, "On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness" and "North! Or Be Eaten!" and they are fantabulous! Sort of like Lord of the Rings with kids as the main characters. Very fanciful and clean and marvelous. Shane is hooked and I am loving them myself. C was also a fan. Andrew is a CCM artist that has had a number of hits on KLove and he also writes a lot of the recent veggietales silly songs, so he is a talented dude.

A. R. Campbell said...

I am just now getting over a prejudice I've had against "Christian fiction" and have not heard of Bryan Davis. His books sound like something I'd be interested in reading. I'll have to look into them. I recently read the Dragon Keeper series by Donita K. Paul. These books are wonderful Christian fantasies that I enjoyed very much.

I'm in the process of trying to get some of my own work published. It's what I'd call borderline Christian young adult fantasy. Your boys might like it. I do tend to add a lot of girly mushy stuff, though, so maybe not. :-D

Anyway, I enjoyed this post (as I do most of your posts), and I'm glad that there are parents out there who are encouraging their children to read!

(By the way, this is Ruth Campbell--from MOPS. I don't know if it's easy to tell that from my pic. I have a teacup on my face.)

A. R. Campbell said...

P.S. LOVE LOVE LOVE The Phantom Tollbooth!

And I highly reccommend "A Wrinkle In Time" by Madeleine L'Engle to anyone and everyone.

Also, The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander--so good!

Sylvia Goode Basham said...

Makes me want to go read a book! Great post...