(The following is a brief summary of a talk I was able to give several times over the past couple of months to various moms’ groups in our community. While the majority was taken from my own life experiences and those of other women I have talked with, some points were taken from Elisa Morgan and Carol Kuykendall’s book What Every Mom Needs, 1995.)
I think if you ask anyone if being a mom is an important job, they will respond with an enthusiastic, “Absolutely!” Very few will deny the significance of this title. After all, most people can at least acknowledge the great influence –albeit positive or negative – their mother had in their own lives, testifying of her impact on who they are now.
The dilemma is not with acknowledging a mom’s significance, but rather that the acknowledgement is rarely acted upon. No matter how much is said about a mom being important, society frequently fails to show it and instead gives signals that send the opposite message.
Our world tends to define the “best and brightest” as those with high paying jobs, fancy professional titles, or even extensive volunteer service. While these are all admirable accomplishments, the worth of a mom is often overlooked. These mixed signals lead to moms not feeling very important and, time and again, result in unsatisfied women looking for fulfillment elsewhere.
As a mom, I have had these thoughts myself and don’t always feel that my role is meaningful. I stay at home most days, have no paycheck, rarely see immediate results of my work, and am tired despite the fact that little seems to have been accomplished. If I then begin to compare myself to others, such as my husband, who is in law enforcement and is viewed by myself and many others as a hero for protecting the community, I can really start to feel insignificant.
Despite my feelings, however, I know that being a mom is important. I am increasingly aware of the impact my decisions and actions have had on my children. I know that what I am doing is making a difference in their lives as I watch their physical, emotional, educational, and spiritual development.
My role makes a difference in my husband’s life, as well. He is able to focus on providing for our family, knowing with confidence that while he is at work, his children are taken care of by a mom who loves them dearly.
Being a mom is making a difference in my life, too. As my boys are getting older and becoming more and more independent and responsible, they are blessing me with acts of love and consideration to those both within and outside of our home. I am able to enjoy them because of the time I have devoted and continue to give to their upbringing.
Most important of all, I know that God considers moms important. God created each mom for her role and instructs her children to honor her for that role.
If I ever start to doubt how God feels about mothers, I need only to turn to John 19:25-27 to read how Jesus, in the midst of pain, agony, and death on a cross, was making sure someone would take care of his mother when he was no longer on this earth. In the midst of my suffering, do I think of my mom? Well, maybe, but only in a selfish way of wanting her to take care of me like she did when I was a child. In the midst of my suffering, I’m usually thinking only of myself. But what was Jesus thinking of? Taking care of his mom! How could I doubt this important role in light of that fact!
So to all moms, even though there will be times when do not feel important, I hope you know that you are and will always remember that your role as a mom is one of great significance!
“Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her.” Proverbs 31:28
No comments:
Post a Comment