Rarely do I use my blog to write a week in review, but I have found myself smiling and laughing a good bit lately over some family matters that are too cute or significant not to share. The week is not yet over, and the next couple of days hold much promise for more giggles and grins. For now, however, let me take you to what Brer Rabbit would call my “laughing place”. Despite needing a muzzle over my mouth at times, I found much to cheer about as I watched my sons play their best in basketball this weekend. My favorite moment in Brandon’s game was his three point conversion as he successfully made a foul shot after being fouled while successfully shooting a basket. A little wordy, I know. Nonetheless, that nice play brought huge smiles and shouts from this sports mom.
Nicholas played an intense game, attempting many great shots. Some barely missed falling through the hoop, yet others earned his team several points. Zachary scored the first basket of his game before busting his lip. With only five players in attendance, he enthusiastically played the entire time despite his injury.
The beginning of the week brought Valentine’s Day, which was packed with school, chores, and projects, but also smiles and laughter. I surprised Mike by making his favorite cake with homemade chocolate icing and M&Ms. Instead of the normal sheet cake, I chose to bake a layer cake, necessitating a double batch of the fudge icing. I couldn’t help but smile at the finished product.
The boys made us Valentine’s cards – a loving gesture, albeit prompted by their Daddy’s suggestion after overhearing them discuss what gifts they might receive on this special day. Cute and creative, the finished products made my smile even bigger.
Brandon crafted two cards. Mike's included word puzzles and a 3D message; mine consisted of many hearts with a scale indicating each heart equals love. He also wrote a simple, yet sweet poem inside.
Zachary’s “Valentime Day” card to us included a “Guess Who” game and a note stating, “I live you”. Even he chuckled at that misprint!
The highlight of Nicholas’ card to us was the post script: “P.S. Kiss when I’m not looking!” We complied immediately as he closed his eyes, and then we quickly kissed again as soon as he reopened them!
Mike surprised me with a pink fleece sweatshirt with a Minnie Mouse emblem on it. I surprised him with red, white, and black plaid pajama pants that almost perfectly matched the red, white, and navy blue plaid pajama pants he was already wearing. All we could do was laugh, which we did to the point of tears!
February 15 brought more smiles to my face, and not just because we still had over half of the chocolate cake left! On Tuesday, Brandon’s first blog post on a Disney website, The Mouse For Less, was published.
When I began writing last month for this site, Brandon asked if he could as well. He emailed the moderator, who in turn asked for a sample of his work since no child had blogged for them before. She liked it and officially made him the site’s first junior blogger!
His first post was well-received, with 27 “likes” to date (compared to the average of one or two on most guest bloggers’ posts) and 5 comments. Furthermore, a separate website noticed his article. After reporting on some rather ridiculous and irresponsible adult actions, Disney Dispatch writer Bob McLain remarked:
Let's leave the lunacy behind and conclude with a really nice story! Brandon... writes on The Mouse for Less about his day as a ski captain at Blizzard Beach. So what, you say? Well, Brandon... is twelve years old, and not only did he do a darn good job as a ski captain, but he wrote a blog entry about it, too! Brandon's story is well-written and fun to read. Good job, pal!
Now that will make a mama smile any day!
“You have put gladness in my heart…” Psalm 4:7a
1 comment:
Your post made me smile :-)
Post a Comment