Sunday, February 27, 2011

Press On

As the boys wrap up another season of basketball, I realize that many of my cheers from the sidelines have included the phrases, “Keep it up; hang in there; you can do it; push past the tiredness and press on!” I played church league basketball as a child and remember well how exhausting the sport can be for players constantly running up and down the court. Fatigue sets in, and the kids start slowing down.

As a former player, I shout these words of encouragement to persevere because I also know that the game will end, particularly in Upwards Basketball where there are no delays, no stopped clocks, and exactly thirty-six minutes of playing time for the teams. Furthermore, to continue to press on and give one’s best during the entire game, despite fatigue, often results in a victory, or at least a well-respected performance.

Appropriately enough, while on the way home from a basketball game this weekend, I sensed the Lord uttering these same words of encouragement to me. I sighed deeply as the boys began yet another squabble over some petty matter. “Will this ever end?” I thought. But just as quickly, God enabled me to envision what life might be like in a decade or two when our sons are mature, godly men. Almost instantly, I was reassured that yes, the bickering will eventually stop!

However, I was also reminded in those brief moments of my role in resolving the conflicts and developing spiritual maturity and a solid friendship among my sons. I must “keep it up, hang in there, push past the tiredness, and press on.” Consistent discipline, balanced with mercy and grace, should be a part of my regular routine.

Although my children are past the toddler and preschooler phases that demand constant correction, issues still arise that necessitate discipline. Often, I am caught off guard. Because they are older now, my sons typically only need a reminder to behave well and seldom require a consequence for bad conduct. As a result, their occasional misbehavior is often overlooked, causing frustration when, time after time, one or more of them will not follow my reasoning and ought to have had an immediate correction to begin with.

While it is easy to forego discipline because they need it less than they once did, I must not let my guard down and instead be ready and willing to step in and continue to lead my boys in the direction they should go, giving consequences when they choose the path of sin and selfishness.

In the third quarter of this phase of parenting, tiredness is also setting in. The temptation to slow down and take a break rather than give my best and be consistent is ever present.

But I am not ready for the final buzzer to sound; I love having my children at home! When it comes to disciplining them, I must hang in there, persevere, and press on while in a position to play offensively and score some baskets (i.e. correct misbehaviors and instill a desire to please the Lord). The victory at the end will be well worth it.



“Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on…” Philippians 3:12a

2 comments:

Mike said...

Great reminders! I love you!

mariel said...

great illustration! :) I will think of it on saturday as I cheer my boys on!!