Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Faith in Action

We have watched many movies this summer, but the most thought-provoking one has been The Book of Eli, starring Denzel Washington. Typically, we do not watch R-rated movies, but this one came highly recommended by some trusted friends. While we would not let our kids watch it because of the intensity and some language, I found the story line greatly overshadowed the elements that earned it an R rating.

Without giving away the entire plot of the movie, I will say that what I appreciated most about this film was the main character's faith in God and obedience to Him. I believe the two go hand in hand. As James 2:17 states, “…faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.”

Is faith without action really faith or just an excuse for laziness or fear? It seems that genuine faith is most evident when accompanied by a deed, trusting that God is going to use that act to reveal Himself and bring about His desired plan. There is more faith in doing than in sitting. Our faith becomes obvious when we work in obedience to the Lord, following His commands and trusting His results.

This is what Denzel Washington’s character does in The Book of Eli. He believes that God has given Him a task, and he sets forth on a thirty-one year journey of obedience. His faith in God is strengthened as he discovers along the path that God is protecting Him, just as He said He would, so that his assignment can be completed. His character states, “I walk by faith.” He diligently works at the job God has given him having faith that God will see it through to completion.

There is a twist in the movie that reveals to both the characters and the audience that sometimes God’s way of accomplishing His plan is different from what was originally expected. God rewards the main character’s faith and endurance with what could be called a “back-up plan” (although God knew it all along) so that the task is completed.

We, too, can walk in faith, trusting that God is going to accomplish the mission even though He may use a different means than we first assumed or attempted. Our faith guides us and keeps up going, allowing us to complete the task, perhaps not as expected, but most likely, even better.

The movie concludes with the main character describing his own life as the apostle Paul described his. “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.”(2 Tim. 4:7) Throughout his journey, he endured many trials, including physical attacks, hunger, and thirst. Yet by faith, he continued along the path God laid out for him, saw his assignment to its completion, and held firm to his belief in God’s promises and provision.

And that is what I believe happens when we put action behind our faith. Not only does our willingness to act reveal our trust in God, but when we have finished the race, we find our faith much stronger.

God doesn’t need us to accomplish His work, but when we allow Him to use us, He is glorified all the more. His great works are evident not only to the one acting in obedience, but also to those along the path who are able to observe faith in action.

“…that by His power He may fulfill every good purpose of yours and every act prompted by your faith…so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him….” 2 Thess. 1:11-12

1 comment:

Unknown said...

beautifully said, and I'm interested in the movie now too!