Monday, August 16, 2010

Why We Homeschool



We recently began a new school year and have been remembering why we chose to homeschool over five years ago. It was not a decision we took lightly, but when our neighborhood was reassigned to a different school, we found ourselves forced to think more intently about our children’s education.

The principle factor that led us to homeschool was the local public school, which was failing to meet national standards in education and had a less than satisfactory environment. Financially, private schools were not an option. Therefore, the best choice was to teach the boys at home.

All practicality aside, I love homeschooling and believe we would make this choice under almost any circumstances. There are so many aspects of homeschooling that we cherish. Perhaps most of all, I love being with my boys. I understand that they will only be in my home for a limited amount of time, and I want to make the most of the days I have with them. There are times now when I would like to have the house to myself or run errands on my own, but those few days a year are not worth the 180 days I would be sending them off to school.

Homeschooling is also a tool God is using to answer many of our prayers for the boys, one of which is that they have a firm foundation in Christ. We are able to teach them our faith and ground them in the Word of God. We start each day with Scripture and a devotion over breakfast, followed by individual Bible reading and discussions. Having had a child in school, I know that our schedule would not have allowed this intimate time together in God’s Word if we did not homeschool. Additionally, our curriculum choices, while acknowledging other worldviews, support our beliefs.

Another prayer for our children is that they have a close relationship with one another. Homeschooling encourages this. They are together throughout the day, and while some may see this as being conducive to arguments, fights, and competition, I have found the opposite to be true. While all of these do occur at times, they are learning to work together, play together, compromise, and enjoy one another. In addition to being brothers, they are school mates, play mates, and friends.

Academically, there are benefits to homeschooling. Because I have only three students, I can easily see where their individual strengths and weaknesses lie. As a result, I can challenge them in their strong areas and work more intensely in subjects they are struggling with. This individualized education is unlikely to occur in most other school settings.

Like with their academic subjects, I also notice strengths and weaknesses in their character. I praise positive behaviors and correct misbehaviors. I am aware of their passions, what they like and dislike. Their confidence is continually growing because they do not face the social pressures to fit into a certain mold that perhaps they would in school.

Socially, the boys enjoy activities with their homeschooled and tracked-out friends, in addition to participation in sports, church, and community events. They have never been at a loss for interaction and fellowship with people of all ages.

Teaching my boys at home is not easy. It is a job with no pay and requires my dedication to the task in order to give our children the quality education we want them to have. For us, this means planning each day before it arrives, completing assignments, and being intentional when choosing activities. There is fun and flexibility, which we love, but we are careful not to misuse those in a way that would sacrifice their education for selfish whims.

I am thankful for the freedom in this country to homeschool, and I hope it is never taken away from American families. I am also thankful for the freedom in Christ which gives us the choice to teach our children at home. It is not a biblical mandate. Other families may be able to accomplish all I have mentioned with their children in local schools. However, homeschooling is the means God has given our family to accomplish these goals and see our prayers answered.

“And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children….” Deut. 6:6-7a




2 comments:

The Santos Family: said...

Couldn't have said it better myself, Allison. Thanks for sharing and may this be the best homeschool year yet :) Stephanie Santos

Faye Creech said...

Great way to explain it all. Any the blessings get bigger as they get older. Have a great year!!