
The idea of a garden has always been exciting and even sentimental to me, but actually starting one was simply overwhelming. My mental picture of a garden always included a big piece of land with a large variety of fruits and vegetables being grown. This is what my grandpa’s garden was like.
Growing up, I was in awe of Grandpa’s garden and the produce that came from it. I admired my grandparents for all their hard work, endurance, and perseverance as they sowed, watered, weeded, reaped, canned, and cooked their home-grown food. They had a variety of fruit trees, as well, that were a source of pure delight to their only granddaughter.
I was often a beneficiary of their diligence as I devoured the delicious meals my grandma prepared. Until I was a wife living away from my grandparents, I never knew I could not buy tomatoes that tasted as good as what is grown at home and that, no matter what cooking method is attempted, green beans purchased in a grocery store cannot be made to taste like ones Grandma cooked from her garden.
After fourteen years of marriage, which included several moves and three children added to our family, we were finally at a place in life where a garden seemed feasible. Last year, on the day before Mother’s Day, Mike left home with the boys on a “secret” mission. A couple of hours later, they were back home and at work, issuing a stern command for me to stay inside with no peeking.
By noon, their work was complete, and I was called outside in order to have the surprise revealed. Together, they had designed and planted my first garden - two tomato plants! I was so excited. They could not have chosen a more thoughtful gift. As the season progressed, we all worked together to weed and water the garden, and we all enjoyed a summer full of delicious, home-grown tomatoes!

This year, we expanded our garden to include three tomato plants, two cucumber plants, and one squash plant. We also planted two apple trees and are anticipating their fruit in a couple of years.

It is mid-August, and despite intense heat and little rain, we are continuing to reap the harvest and enjoy the addition of fresh vegetables to our meals. At the same time, we are already discussing next year’s garden, with plans for improvements and additions.


While our garden may never be as large as Grandpa’s has been and our dinners will never be as tasty as Grandma’s, it makes me smile to know that we are in some small way following in their footsteps, teaching our boys the value of hard work and home-grown vegetables.
“And God said, ‘See, I have given you every herb that yields seed… and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food.’ …and indeed it was very good.” Genesis 1:29, 31
1 comment:
Very good! I remember the garden we had growing up too. That's the hard part about living in seminary housing. We can't enjoy the process of having a garden. One day we will and we will take full advantage of it. Enjoy reading your blogs Alison!!
Post a Comment