Another season of baseball has begun. For our boys, playing baseball in the fall is a first. We decided to try it this year because we have heard that it is more relaxing than in the spring, with less of an emphasis on competition and more focus on teaching the players skills and helping them improve. We consider this present season something of a boot camp to get ready for April, as well as an opportunity to have fun and enjoy the sport.
Since baseball ended last June, the boys have faithfully been practicing almost every day. However, those daily practices during one of the hottest summers on record haven’t been much more than ten to fifteen minutes of throwing and catching the ball. Will they be ready?
With practices beginning and the first games of the season only days away, I called the boys together for a special baseball lesson. Since they had just come in from playing ball in 97 degree weather, the prospect of going back out in the heat did not excite them. They were pleasantly surprised, however, when I said this lesson would be at the kitchen table. I pulled out the dry-erase board, and we began.
“What is the purpose of baseball?” I asked.
After several suggestions were made, I reminded them that the purpose of baseball is no different from the purpose of anything else we do. While having fun, improving in a sport, exercising, and making new friends are all fine reasons to play, the ultimate purpose is to glorify God. In essence, they are to be missionaries on the ball field, shining the light of Christ.
We then discussed how they, as players, can accomplish this goal. The boys gave the following suggestions:
1. Have a good attitude.
2. Tell others about Jesus.
3. Pray and share how God is answering those prayers.
4. Give God credit for successes.
5. Do what God would want; don’t compromise on biblical values.
6. Listen to and obey the coach.
7. Help others.
8. Encourage others and cheer on your team.
9. Try hard; do your best; don’t give up.
10. Don’t complain.
I consider that an admirable top ten list from my boys! But then it was time to put myself on the spot. I asked them how Daddy and I, as parents and fans, can glorify God. Here’s what we came up with together:
1. Pray for our children and their teammates.
2. Tell others about God and what He is doing this season.
3. Have a good attitude.
4. Cheer on the team and encourage players.
5. Enjoy the games.
6. Be nice to the other team.
7. Don’t say anything bad about the coach, the players, or the umpires.
8. Don’t lose our tempers.
9. Be discerning with the words we say.
10. Don’t complain.
Now that is going to be a tough list to accomplish! It is so much easier to tell the boys how they can glorify God with their words and actions than it is to apply many of those same principles to my life. I expect to struggle most with “no complaining” followed closely by “be discerning with the words we say”. Actually, those two go hand in hand.
It's not going to be easy. It looks like I will be in baseball boot camp this fall, too!
“So whether you eat or drink,” - or play baseball - “or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31
No comments:
Post a Comment