Thursday, September 2, 2010

James

My nephew James is now a college freshman. This week, he moved away from home and into a dorm. My mind is not grasping this concept very well.

James is an athletic, intelligent, and mature young man, but when I look at him, I still see the three year-old ring bearer from our wedding – the absolutely adorable and incredibly well-behaved ring bearer who took his assignment as seriously as this young bride hoped he would.


Can this same sweet little boy really be old enough to move away from home? Watching him grow up before my eyes so quickly makes me suspect that my own boys will be following in his footsteps much sooner than I care to consider.

I also wonder how James’ mom, my sister-in-law, is handling this major transition. Is she beside herself with emotion, or has she prepared for this time of life? Is this an event a mother can ever truly be ready for? Is she clinging to her other children, trying to hold back time so that the days of an empty nest are not as soon as they appear to be? James’ move certainly makes me cling to my own boys a little tighter and make the most of the days we have with them at home.

For years, I have prayed for James every Monday. Each of my niece and nephews has a day assigned to them in which I specifically lift them up to the Lord. I have prayed for James’ safety, his relationships, and for his discipleship and growth as a believer in Jesus Christ. I am proud of the young man he has become. Nonetheless, lately I noticed myself praying for him other days of the week as well.

These most recent prayers are that he will he stay strong in his faith when others try to deceive him away from the truth of God’s Word. I ask the Lord to help him make wise choices in the midst of his newfound freedom. As he is faced with many temptations, I pray that he will stand firm on the principles he has been taught throughout his life. I feel confident James will excel both academically and spiritually. Even so, I am committed to faithfully praying for him just as I am committed to praying for my own sons.

We are proud of James and all he has accomplished so far. This new adventure is an exciting one for our favorite college student, and we are looking forward to hearing all about it. The days ahead are full of great potential, and we believe he will continue to be used him in mighty ways as he keeps God first.

We love you, James!

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” Prov. 3:5-6

No comments: