Sunday, September 26, 2010

Obedience

Obedience is often difficult, especially for children. I remember my own childhood and the passion I had to follow my own way, the way that seemed best in my eyes, instead of my parents’ ways. Even now, I find God’s Word much easier to understand than it is to follow.

While my oldest son Brandon wrestles with certain temptations from time to time, obedience is not a struggle for him. As a toddler who just moved into his big boy bed, he needed only one correction to learn that staying in the bed, as Mommy and Daddy instructed, was the best way. After several years of Brandon continuing to ask us before getting out of bed, we finally understood that we must formally give him freedom to get up as he deemed appropriate. Permission was all he was waiting for.

His desire to obey is still strong. During the warmer months, I often take the boys on bike rides around the neighborhood. Brandon has been riding his bike so long he recently outgrew his helmet and graduated to an adult one. However, despite his experience, this summer he insisted on not changing the gears of his twenty-one speed mountain bike, claiming Dad told him not to.

It baffled me why Mike wanted Brandon, at his age and ability, to leave the gears alone. However, I encouraged him to get approval first. When he asked, Mike did not even remember this command until Brandon reminded him that it was given to him the day he got his new bike… over two years ago!

These incidences are not exceptions with Brandon. He rarely complains and is very obedient, almost always responding to our requests or commands with “yes ma’am” or “yes sir”. He does what is asked, whether it is taking out the trash, vacuuming the living room, or watering the garden. As his parents, we greatly appreciate this trait and must make sure we do not take advantage of it.

I recently asked Brandon why he obeyed so quickly. He casually responded, “The Bible tells me to,” as he headed outside, eager to ride his bike and excited about his newfound freedom to change the gears!

May we all have a strong faith and great desire to quickly obey our Heavenly Father!

“Oh, that they had such a heart in them that they would fear me and always keep all My commandments, that it might be well with them, and with their children forever!” Deuteronomy 5:29

2 comments:

A. R. Campbell said...

What a blessing! It's a wonderful reflection on how you've brought him up in the Word.

Sylvia Goode Basham said...

Love this about Brandon....trying hard not to compare him to my son who says black when I say white, up when I say down, play when I say work, etc. Just a little more work for me I guess....

Thanks for writing this!