Sunday, September 19, 2010

Silly Bandz - The Fad of 2010

Without a doubt, this year will be remembered in pop culture history as being the year of the Silly Bandz! I can think of no recent fads that have had quite the appeal as these colorful, multi-shaped bracelets.

I remember seeing them for the first time several months ago on the wrists of some boys at church. “What in the world are they wearing?” I thought. It appeared as if a rainbow of rubber bands had taken over half of their arms.

My first reaction, after hearing their explanation, was to brush it off. Who would pay for animal, sports, and various shaped rubber bands that seemed to have no real purpose? The absurdity of it led me to discard it as a short-lived craze…

…until my own boys started asking, no, pleading for the trinkets.

Because I was in no rush to purchase the bandz, other kids took pity on my own. Consequently, I became both surprised and impressed with the bigheartedness of other children as they offered bracelets to my “deprived” boys. That is when I began noticing that some trends, as petty as they seem, can bring out the best in others. Here is what I have noticed during the Silly Bandz phase:

*Kids are full of compassion and generosity. When my boys had no bandz, others were quick to offer one of their own with no expectations of anything in return.

*Kids learn from one another. As beneficiaries of the charity of others, my boys and others have freely given their own bracelets to those who have none, continuing the pattern of generosity. Others, young entrepreneurs, have quickly noticed the value of a band and make a dime or two off of selling rather than trading. As a “customer” of one young friend, I can proclaim that the result is satisfying for both the buyer and the seller.

*Kids unite around a common band… umm, bond. My children met a girl about their age for the first time when we were invited to her house. Immediately, the silly bandz were brought out and the trading began. There was never an awkward moment, but instead, an instant friendship.

*Kids and grown-ups connect. Adults are catching on and wearing a few themselves, grabbing the attention of children, whether it’s at the dentist’s office, a local restaurant, or Grandma’s house. In an age when kids and adults seldom find common ground and often mingle only with those their own age, this interaction between generations is encouraging.

*Kids are willing to share their faith with others. While it may be a stretch – no pun intended - the instant bond over this fad is paving the way for children to live out godly virtues and tell others what is most important in their lives. Coming to their aide are bracelets in the shapes of crosses, Bibles, angels, and other Christian icons which give the wearers a natural opportunity to explain their meanings.

I am one of the first to discount a fad as a petty fashion that is short-lived. Isn’t that their very nature, the very definition of the word? This current craze, however, has caught my eye for the good it seems to bring out in kids. This is one I will remember.

“…be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share…” 1 Tim. 6:18

No comments: