Monday, January 17, 2011

Date Nights!

Mike and I had an incredible date night last week!

For over twelve years – as long as we have been parents – older, wiser friends have insisted that regular date nights are important in a marriage. How appealing!

However, as exciting and fun as dates with my husband are, we faced periods in our marriage when nice evenings out were not possible.

While Mike was in seminary, our income was well below poverty level. Fancy shows, extravagant dinners, or even a simple night at the movie theater cost more than our budget allowed.

We made up for the lack of nights “out” by having many dates “in”. We trained our babies to be in bed by 8pm. Their predictable routine allowed us to fix a yummy dessert and watch a rented movie or play a game as often as Mike’s class and homework schedule allowed. On Friday nights, we would add back rubs to our date, a weekly tradition that continues even now.

When graduate school days were eventually behind us, we began going “out” for an occasional date. However, with three children and finances still relatively tight, we stretched those nights out across the year, using restaurant gift cards or free childcare when our parents would visit or when we would travel to see them.

In the past year, we have been making up for lost time! While our nights out alone are limited to once every couple of months, we have indulged in some very nice dates, including seeing several Broadway shows.

Last week was one of the best! We saw the Broadway production The Lion King.


Last summer, with thoughts of wintery January weather in the very backs of our minds, we ordered tickets. However, just one night before our show, we were bombarded with an ice storm.

Perhaps “bombarded” is a strong word. Cities and states around us were receiving five to eight inches of snow, followed by ice. We missed the worst of it, but did get enough to question our ability to make it to the theater in the next town. All of the doubts and uncertainties dampened my spirits a bit. Frustrations were rising.

However, Mike was determined not to call off our highly anticipated date. Our sitter, thoughtful and understanding, was also committed to watching the boys. So my mood lightened as we left the house.

We enjoyed a nice dinner at the Olive Garden before proceeding to the theater, where we took our seats about ten rows from the orchestra, almost directly in the middle. We had the additional blessing of “no shows” right in front of us, giving us a clear view.

With lights dimmed, the curtain opened to a single actress upon a relatively bare stage singing words I could not understand, yet I was mesmerized immediately. Her voice, incredibly captivating, was soon joined by two others in the balcony. Drums were added to the voices, with a spotlight on these musicians. And then, with the mood set, a procession of “animals” came down the aisles and onto the stage. To attempt to put into words the unique and amazing costumes of these actors would do them no justice.

Suffice it to say, I was awestruck, and continued to be throughout the show. I wished for time to stand still so I could observe every minute detail. Yet I also wanted the show to continue because, despite knowing the plot, I was enthralled with the story.

We have seen some excellent Broadway shows, but I will boldly state that The Lion King tops them all!

From simple nights in to occasional indulgences when our circumstances have allowed, Mike and I have enjoyed all sorts of dates over the years. What I love most, however, is not what we do or where we go, but the man I am with!

You knew that was coming, didn’t you! ;-)

“Your desire will be for your husband.” Genesis 3:16b

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Yay for date nights!! So glad you guys got to get out for a bit. Lion King is one of our faves too!

Mike said...

I do enjoy our date nights! Great post! I love you!