Monday, January 24, 2011

We Are Writers

When I last wrote, I talked a lot about what defines me based on how I spend my time. I intentionally chose not to include my hobby of writing. After all, few people identify me by this activity, which I only recently began pursuing in depth. These days, however, it seems as if I always have a topic to write about. I just can’t stop!

In the past week, I have been madly writing for a Disney blog. Because of our numerous trips to this vacation hot spot, much knowledge has been gained on the subject. In other words, I have a lot to share about Disney!

A friend and fellow Disney fanatic informed me of incentives offered to guest bloggers on a Disney-related website. With a trip already planned for the fall, these incentives are enticing, to say the least. Therefore, I have put on my “Mouse Ears” (figuratively speaking) and begun the task of completing twelve Disney-related posts – four per month - before the end of March.

Another opportunity to write was recently brought to my attention, as well. The Women’s Life Office at Southeastern is looking for guest bloggers. Because my husband is not only a graduate, but also works for Southeastern, this is a chance I have to use writing as a tool for sharing what God is teaching me. I may pursue this path in the weeks ahead.

Most important to me, however, is this blog. As much as I enjoy writing, my life is quite eventful with a husband and three sons. However, I have a strong desire, perhaps a God-given desire, to record how God is working in our family. In the relatively ordinary moments of life, if we listen carefully, we will hear God speaking. Maintaining this blog causes me to listen more intently and observe more closely, enabling me to notice His hand in even the small stuff.

I write first out of obedience to God. I write next out of a love for my family and a desire for them – not just my children, but perhaps also their own children and grandchildren – to know what our lives are like today and God’s important role in them. Finally, I share the blog with others who may want a peak into our lives and will perhaps glean a helpful or encouraging word from what God has been teaching us.

It excites me to see a similar desire for writing in my sons. Last spring, Brandon attended a writing workshop and returned home with a determination to write his own novel. While his days are full with school, sports, and friends, he finds time occasionally to add to this current project. Additionally, he has begun keeping a record of special days in his life, although other activities often supersede journaling.

Nicholas is also a writer, with his specialty being comic books. He has developed quite a reputation for this activity among his peers. His enthusiasm for making comics is as great as mine is for blogging. We both understand one another’s feelings of intensity and passion in the midst of writing and the enormous satisfaction and bliss when a project is complete.


Zachary is not to be left out. For about a year, he has been working on his own book – mostly biographical, but with a bit of fiction. His story, The Three Little Boys, details many of the activities that happen in our own family. It also includes our pet dog, as well as our team of sled dogs that pulls us around when it snows. Hmmm… can you tell which part is fictional?

As my boys mature in both mind and body, I pray they will understand their giftedness, whether that be in writing or in some other area, and use it for the glory of God and the advancement of His Kingdom. Furthermore, I pray that I will set a worthy example for them to follow of honoring the Lord as I pursue the interests that He has given me, including my passion to write.

“that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;” Colossians 1:10

No comments: