Friday, January 21, 2011

My Identity

A recent conversation prompted me to pause and ask myself, “What am I known for?” In addition to relational roles such as wife, mom, daughter, sister, and friend, what is my identity?

To many, I am the “Disney Geek”, uh, expert, I mean. Our family has visited the different Disney World parks over 40 times during six different trips since 2004. As a result, both Mike and I have obtained quite an expertise on how to “Do Disney”. I have a plethora of information stored not only on my computer, but also in my head, and am called upon regularly to share with others preparing to visit the World. In addition to traveling almost yearly to Orlando to see the Mouse, I also meet with other Disney fanatics monthly. No, no. It’s not a “Disney Freaks Anonymous Club”. At least, I don’t think it is….

Another title I hold is “Homeschool Mom.” With almost six years under my belt in this position, I have experience with different curriculums, methods, and co-ops. The challenge of teaching three children in three different grades has taught me that there is no status-quo, no “norm”, and no such thing as “one size fits all”. I have learned quite a bit about teaching children at home, primarily that I still have so much to learn!

Some people know me as the “MOPS Lady”. This identity is understandable considering I have been involved in some way or another with Mothers of Preschoolers groups almost as long as I have been a parent. MOPS is important to me, not because of the international organization, but because of what it offers: a chance for ladies to grow as moms, wives, and women through godly instruction, guidance, fellowship, and fun. I am passionate about groups like MOPS because of the potential they have for being an avenue God uses to change lives.

Others have designated me as that “Mom of Boys” and given me the opportunity to share what life is like with this title. Occasionally, strangers will remind me of this identity with comments like, “Your hands must be full!” or “How do you do it?” and the obvious, “No girls?” These remarks are often accompanied by looks of amazement that raising three sons is both possible and enjoyable, but rarely do I detect even a hint of envy. Instead of being bothered by these reactions, I am proud. I love having boys and would not change my offspring for anything.


While all of these titles are fun and no doubt a part of who I am, there is one name I prize above all. That identify is “Christ Follower”. I am a child of God’s and enjoy a relationship with Him through His Son, Jesus. I desire to be known by this name above all others.

I am sure, however, that other titles overshadow that of being a godly, Christian woman. I am without a doubt a work-in-progress, with priorities to maintain and much more spiritual growing to do. My prayer is that the overarching theme of my life, and what drives each designation, is a desire to please the Lord in everything I do. Whatever identity is ascribed to me, I hope it will also include being a faithful follower of God.

“As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith…” Colossians 2:6-7a

5 comments:

StaceyC4 said...

I think you should have on your mouse ears, with an "S" on your shirt like Superman, a bible in one hand, a school book in the other, a MOPS keychain on your hip and be surrounded by Mike and the boys...that would say it all!

Adrianne said...

Your many hats inspire us all, but the conclusion is the real take-home. Thank you for your inspiratoin!

Alison said...

Stacey and AD, you both hold those same titles - Disney, teacher, MOPS, boys - and more, not the least of which is a follower of God!

Unknown said...

That is the greatest blog yet! I am so proud to call you my niece!! Of course, your name is mention alot because your do wear many hats and wear them well I must say! The last part of the blog is the most important...child of God and doing what is pleasing to him and the rest will follow! Love it!!

Anonymous said...

You are such an encouragement! I get the whole mom of boys thing ALL the time. I love my boys! I need to get with you and ask you some questions about Disney. I want to take the boys. I have been told by SEVERAL people you are the person to ask!